14.2.10

you are loved

Happy Hearts Day everyone!

Today, I want to remind you that you are loved. And love comes in different forms. The thing is we just have to recognize it coz more often than not, we tend to search for love not knowing it's right in front our eyes. Here's a story I tumbled upon few weeks ago from Alison of savemefromyself at tumblr that I wanted to share.

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.  She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her.  I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words: 


Dear God, 
Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick. 


I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her. 



Love, Meredith 


We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. 
  
A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet.  I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, ‘To Meredith’ in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, ‘When a Pet Dies.’ 
  
Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note: 




Dear Meredith, 



Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. 



Abbey isn’t sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. 

  

Since we don’t need our bodies in heaven, I don’t have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by. 



Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. 



I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I’m easy to find, I am wherever there is love. 

Love, 
God


Never forget that you are loved by someone down here and Someone up there.

Photobucket

50 stylish comments:

Desired Youth said...

awh! This made me cry. How cute and very wise!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Mom Fashion World said...

Oh, this story is so beautiful and dogs really are man's best friend.

Happy Valentines, Betzy!

mikenbecca said...

Happy V-day sweetie!!!

rebeccaroseilican.blogspot.com/

Angel said...

thanks bets for dropping by on my webpage... :) youre lovely yourself :D

Vinda Sonata said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vinda Sonata said...

this is a very thoughtful and touching post, betz. thanks for sharing. i could relate to abbey's feeling upon writing the letter to God about her dog. my peking dog ully died 2 days ago, too.

it's always nice to realize that God Himself is love and that's He's always watching us with love, and love us just the way we are.

thanks for sharing.
happy belated Valentine's day! :)

Nina said...

You had me in tears, Betz ... thank you for sharing, sweetie! Happy V Day!

Leah said...

Happy Valentine's day Betz!

Thanks for sharing this. Now I'm missing my Belle. xoxo

Jing Ocay said...

so touching betz!makahappy. happy vday gwapa! :)

Psyche said...

awww.. thanks for sharing the story, betz. :) happy valentines day to you!

michelle_ said...

aweeee.. this was such a sweet story dear :D
HAPPY VALENTINES <3 !
thx for the comment on my blog
michelle . @ GLISTERS&BLISTERS

Riati Cornelia said...

nice pic (:
btw i linked and followed ur blog. mind to do the same ?
anyway thanks for the comment for my blog.

anyway happy val's day (:

xoxo
zipperandpepper

NicRTV (陳亞任) said...

what a beautiful message....Belated Happy Hearts Day!!

Diane said...

Wow, this is the greatest post I've ever read, it's so amazing, brought tears to my eyes!...

Have a super fun day

kiss

Denise @ Swelle said...

That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard. I'm so sorry you lost your dog. I have a four year-old daughter as well and it would break my heart to see her go through that. What a little angel. ♥

Raquelita said...

Such a sweet post! Thank you for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Aww that is so sweet....I miss my babies now...my doggies....few more weeks and I am going to see them again....

Thank you for sharing...
Take care

Happy Valentines dear

Always,
Sweet
http://pensandlens.wordpress.com

Chicago Chic said...

Such a sweet post. Dogs are so very special, I miss my puppy so much. We had to give her away in order to move to Italy and it was heart-breaking.

...and God indeed is love, and loves/forgives me even when I don't deserve it. He is beautiful.

xoxoxo
Rachel

Anonymous said...

This almost made me cry! that is so sweet and its crazy how children feel, they feel so deeply. She is adorable!

daisychain said...

oh what a beautiful post.

KP said...

so, so sweet xo

Josie said...

What an absolutely lovely story.
xxoo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

kookie kulasa said...

aaaww betz naman Monday na Monday napaiyak ako! hehehe

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

prettyneons said...

bless such a sweet post,
peace
prettyneons X

Jen said...

Awww, you made me tear up! Wonderful post, thank you :)

Viva La Fashion said...

happy valentine's day! :D

Anonymous said...

awww, that is so sweet!

Kira Aderne said...

The most sweet thing! Happy V Day for you too!

Fashion is a Playground said...

Lovely !

the girl in stiletto said...

oh no :') this made me heaving with tears! (and the hormonal imbalance kinda exaggerates it)

that "god" is a very sweet person indeed.

Fashion Court said...

oh my god, that is such a touching story! hope you had a fabulous vday! xo

FashionJazz said...

Ur story is so touching, I am so sorry about your doggie, animals really are like family and when they pass away, it hurts so much! Beautiful post : ) xxx

Tanja Oomen said...

That was so sweet! It made me cry, so beautiful :)

xo

A Pinch of Style said...

Happy belated Vday! This is truely a sweet and sad story.

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

Awww. This post is so sweet and thoughtful. And incredibly true. There is DEFINITELY always someone that loves you, even when it feels like no one does!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
quirkyexplosion.blogspot.com

Christen said...

This totally made me tear up. Thanks for sharing.

Vinda Sonata said...

betz, i mentioned this post in my recent blog entry : http://vindavindasonata.blogspot.com/2010/02/our-first-photography-session.html

again, thanks for such a beautiful entry!

Pia said...

sooo cute! awwweee. hope you had a good valentines!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Awww what a cute and touching story. Belated happy hearts day. =)

S.Elisabeth said...

That is by far the sweetest story I have ever heard. Bless the person who was kind enough to send the package back to her!

Ms Polevsh said...

hope you had a nice Vday!!

Anonymous said...

aw~ almost cry after reading the letter .
very nice post for valentine's day .

castorpollux

B a la Moda said...

This is just a beautiful story that your daughter won´t forget. It is a great way to explain children the hard times in life.

xoxo
B* a la Moda

Unknown said...

oh betz. :( i practically bawled over with this story.:( love is really everywhere!

hope you had a good one:)

<3
eden

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

What a touching story and what a touching post!

Tabitha said...

Thank you thank you thank you so much for the award!!! :) I can't believe their finally opening an F21 in Times Square - that location is going to be a zoo!

Unknown said...

oh this is sweet.

i remember my first dog Ango. He was with us for 13 years. We grew up together. He died on 2000. Took me a long time to get another dog cos it's really painful losing a dog. So we got koffy two years ago and i hated that movie, marley and me.

wish dogs live longer.



I am Denise Katipunera

Grumpy old man said...

So so sweet, this brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye, it is sad when a loved animal dies, but you handled it perfectly, you are a wonderful mom.
Thanks for sharing.
Colin.

Marz said...

This post got me all teary eyed Betz.
Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story, it was really touching. Love is really all around there is no denying that. It is in every kind word that every person has ever said, which I'm certain outnumbers every hateful message ever conceived.
Now I must go and hug my cat because stories about pets really make me sad :(